A Pasta Dish for the Last Days of Summer
Nothing says “summer” like a pasta dish chock full of shrimp and veggies that’s dressed with a light sauce of white wine, olive oil and a touch of butter.
My recipe for Spicy Mediterranean Shrimp and Pasta is a go-to dish for the summer that is a healthy mix of protein, carbs and vegetables. So as you’re planning your Labor Day weekend menu, consider adding this dish to your list. The flavors will transport your taste buds and will help you savor this last weekend of all things summer.
Spicy Mediterranean Shrimp and Pasta
(will feed 2-3 people)
- Pasta of your choice (I prefer fresh angel hair)
- 3/4 of a pound of peeled, uncooked shrimp
- 1 can of plain, diced tomatoes
- 1 small can of black, pitted olives (roughly chopped)
- 1 can of quartered artichoke hearts in water (cut quarters in half)
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 a medium-sized purple onion, finely chopped
- A few dashes of red pepper
- A few dashes of chili powder
- Black pepper
- Bottle of olive oil (to add as needed throughout the cooking process)
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1/4 cup of white wine (optional)
- Several fresh basil leaves (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 cup grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
1) Cook pasta, per instructions on box.
2) Add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil to a pan large enough to hold shrimp and veggies under medium heat for a minute. Add shrimp to pan and add red pepper, chili powder (to suit how spicy you want things) and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Let shrimp cook for a few minutes or until pink (and done). Set them aside.
3) In the same pan, add a few more tablespoons of olive oil and the butter, and let heat on medium for about a minute. Add onion and let it cook for a minute. Then, add garlic and let mixture cook for another minute. Add tomatoes, olives and artichoke hearts. Add salt and black pepper to flavor.
4) Add wine and let mixture simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the cooked shrimp to the mixture and let them reheat for a few minutes.
5) Place the pasta in a large bowl and toss in the veggie/shrimp mixture. Sprinkle the basil on top. Once the food is plated up, sprinkle the cheese on top.
Enjoy your pasta, and let me know if you have any questions about the recipe. Until next Tuesday, have a safe and enjoyable Labor Day weekend, y’all, and stay FWABulous!